Monday, January 18, 2010

Read Through

The big news is that most of the cast has assembled and we have done a run through. On Sunday we all descended on Robert and Brian's extraordinary home, The Knowe - a magnificent place in Sassafras. Its an astonishingly beautiful property, made all the dearer to us because we were married there on November 17, 2007. I can't even think of the place without getting a bit misty.

My wedding day was bright and sunny, and Sunday afternoon was anything but. Melbourne's heat wave broke with a vengeance, and we have enjoyed drizzle and rain ever since - a not unwelcome phenomenon. But far from ruining the read through, the cold and the rain enhanced the intimacy. The Knowe is magnificent in all weather.

My day leading up to the run through was unusually hectic for a Sunday. I had a massive bike ride, and went down and up the 1000 steps, and then a bike ride home. Prior to leaving, I booked a taxi online to get me to Sassafras in time. Figuring that if I left around 2-ish, all should be well, I timed everything to the last minute - walked the dogs, showered and cleaned myself up, fed myself - only to have the taxi not turn up! After 20 minutes I called the taxi company to be told they had no record of my booking. I explained that I completed it on line. "Sorry, love, its playing up a bit. I'll book you another one," the ever helpful Megan advised.

Megan was as good as her word, and the taxi was booked - but 25 minutes later still had not turned up. I simply hate being unreliable, and to tell the truth was very nervous about meeting the cast. When the taxi did arrive, and the driver happily informed me there was no such place as Sassafras, I was ready to do my nut. But I restrained myself.

Sassafras happily did turn out to exist, though with all the mist one could imagine it doing a Brigadoon and vanishing for a few years. Which would be a shame, because the assembled cast proved to be pretty exciting. Not everyone was there, but there were many faces I know only from their formidably good performances I have witnessed in the past. The cast has not been announced yet, so I'm not saying a word about who is playing what, but from the evidence, we could not have done better.

The ever delightful James Wright greeted me warmly, and told me a few things about what he wants Tipseion to do in this production. Not saying a word at this point, but when I see my singing teacher next week I will seek her advice about a drama coach. Its an ambitious concept for such a small character, and my initial reaction was of mild panic - but I quickly warmed to the idea, and am now irritatingly enthusiastic. If I am gonna do this, I am gonna do it right!!! Poor Aaron.

First music rehearsal tonight. Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment