Thursday, January 14, 2010

My Thespis Score

My score to Thespis arrived yesterday. Rather than borrow a copy from the company, I wanted my own to keep. A very handsome volume indeed - check it out at www.lulu.com - its quality all the way.

I played it through last night as best I could and already I can tell that of all the 'reconstructed' or newly composed Thespis scores I have encountered, this is easily the best. I don't want to give too much away, but it captures the burlesque and vivacity which I imagine would have been in the original. Must confess, I felt a bit emotional holding the score. For the first time, holding that score, I felt that - with some imagination - I was holding that G&S Holy Grail, the lost score to Thespis.

Yes, I think we are on a winner. I have never much liked those attempts to compose a new score in the Sullivan style. You can't compose a score in the Sullivan style today because his day has passed. What might be intended as a homage more likely comes over as patronising or boring, and sometimes both. One Thespis I heard once sounded more like Kander and Ebb.

So its coming together, and I deliberately did not bring it with me on the train today, because I feared an impromptu rendition might result. Metro Trains have taken a beating in the press of late, and Myki disgruntled commuters should be spared my valiant tones.

No comments:

Post a Comment